FAMS provides information needed to plan funerals. The Society has written contracts with the participating funeral homes and transfer services, many of whom give discounts to our members.
The FAMS’s funeral pre-arrangement form, when completed, will have the information required by the Province of Ontario upon death. When a member registers with the chosen participating funeral provider, all necessary documentation can be prepared. It is prudent to give a copy of the funeral plans to family members or friends, rather than putting the instructions in the will, which is usually read after the funeral services have been concluded.
Joining FAMS brings the peace of mind that comes from knowing your wishes have been recorded and filed.
Sign up here to join.
- $40 for a single membership
- $35 for any family member, 18 and over, who lives at the same address
- $15 for persons of limited means (please contact us for clarification)
This is a one-time fee, no renewals are necessary. If you relocate within Canada, you can ask to be transferred to another memorial society.
- A copy of the Member’s Handbook with information about: simple funerals, burials, cremations, bequeathal to medical science, death benefits, prepayment and other helpful information.
- Price List of Participating Funeral Homes and Transfer Services (updated annually).
- One Funeral Pre-arrangement Form per adult member.
- Instructions to help you complete the form(s).
- One blue membership card per member to keep on your person (in case of accidental death). This card has space to fill in the name of your next of kin and your funeral provider.
What does the Society do?
The Society contracts with selected funeral homes or transfer services to provide members with two types of funerals, summarized below:
The funeral operator removes the body, obtains the legal papers, provides a plain container (three choices are available), and arranges for transportation to cemetery or crematorium. The family can then plan a funeral or a memorial service without the body present.
(Adds to Type A) the use of a reception room for visitation immediately prior to the service and provides a cloth-covered casket.
These two plans are what most members want. Additions to these basic plans cost more than our listed prices and should be discussed with the funeral director.
What are our credentials?
Incorporated under the Ontario Corporations Act. We are a democratic, non-sectarian organization, with an unpaid volunteer Board of Trustees, elected at an annual general meeting usually held in Toronto each May or June. Everyone is welcome to attend the AGM.
Computers and the internet have changed memorial societies, including the Federation of Ontario Memorial Societies – Funeral Consumers Alliance in recent years. Most FOOMS-FCA member societies decided that their members could be served more efficiently by merging into one memorial society with a provincial-wide basis, The Funeral Advisory and Memorial Society (FAMS).
The Chair of the Government Relations Committee continues to meet with government officials and to alert them to consumer concerns, particularly as they relate to The Funeral, Burial and Cremations Services Act and Regulations, The Bereavement Authority of Ontario and the Coroner’s Act.
Still have unanswered questions?
Email us at email@example.com or call us at 416-241-6274.