FAMS provides the information needed to plan funerals. The Society has written contracts with the participating funeral homes and transfer services, many of whom give sizable discount to our members.
Our pre-arrangement form when completed will have the information required by the Province of Ontario upon death. When you register with your chosen participating funeral provider, all necessary documentation can be prepared. It is prudent to give a copy of your funeral plans to family members or friends rather than putting them in the will.
Joining FAMS brings the peace of mind that comes from knowing your wishes have been recorded and filed.
Sign up here to join.
- $40 for a single membership,
- $35 for any other family member, 18 and over who live at the same address
- $15 for persons of limited means (please contact us to join).
That’s it! You pay one time only. If you relocate within Canada, you can ask to be transferred to another Memorial Society.
- A copy of the Member’s Handbook with information about: simple funerals, burials, cremations, bequeathal to medical science, death benefits, prepayment and other helpful information.
- Price List of Participating Funeral Homes and Transfer Services (updated annually).
- One Funeral Pre-arrangement Form per adult member.
- Instructions to help you complete the form(s).
- One blue membership card per member to keep on your person (in case of accidental death). This card has space to fill in the name of your next of kin and your funeral provider.
What exactly does the society do?
The society contracts with selected funeral homes or transfer services to provide members with two types of funerals, summarized very briefly below:
Type A The funeral operator removes the body to their premises, obtains the legal papers, provides a plain container (three choices are available), and arranges for transportation to cemetery or crematorium. The family can then plan a funeral, or a memorial service without the body present.
Type B Adds to Type A the use of a reception room for visitation immediately prior to the service and provides a cloth covered casket.
These two plans are what most members want. Additions to these basic plans cost more than our listed prices and should be discussed with the funeral director.
How do you contact us?
By e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-241-6274. Our volunteers respond to e-mail and voice-mail messages at frequent intervals. You may leave detailed questions, giving a good time to call you back. FAMS’ recorded message includes other phone numbers to call in emergencies.
What are our credentials?
We are incorporated under the Ontario Corporations Act. We are a democratic, non-sectarian organization, with a volunteer Board of Trustees, elected at an annual general meeting held each Spring. Anyone is welcome to attend.
As members of The Federation of Ontario Memorial Societies-Funeral Consumers Alliance (FOOMS) we can influence legislation to reflect the consumers’ wishes. FOOMS continues to meet with Ontario government officials and to make submissions representing consumer interests, including The Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002.
What is our refund policy?
If, after reading the package of materials, you decide to discontinue membership, we will refund your fees, provided all our materials are returned. This has rarely been requested since we were founded in 1957.
Still have unanswered questions?
E-mail us at email@example.com or call us at 416-241-6274.